Microneedling, or “micropenning”, also known as collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation procedure that helps minimize the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin. Microneedling has been safely used in a wide variety of patient of all skin-types.
We use the SkinPen device, the latest advancement in micro-therapy on the market. SkinPen is designed to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars on the face and body. It allows for controlled induction of the skin’s self-repair process by creating thousands of precise micro-injuries in the dermis to a depth of 1.5 to 2 mm to automatically triggering new collagen synthesis without causing new scar tissue formation. So SkinPen stimulates your skin’s natural ability to repair itself.
Microneedling with SkinPen can help to improve your skin’s appearance and may be used used on all skin types. It is:
• A procedure that helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and smooth wrinkles.
• A safe solution with little recovery time.
• A procedure for ongoing maintenance of healthy skin.
SkinPen® is different from traditional microneedling derma-rollers that can bend, break or even rust, resulting in possible infection or scarring with reuse. It uses adjustable length, disposable straight needles to penetrate at a 90-degree angle. This adjustability allows for differences in skin thickness and skin types.
We can treat many areas of the body, including the face, neck, chest, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back. The procedure typically takes thirty minutes depending on the size and number of areas treated and the severity of damage on the skin and results in little downtime. Available only in Marin.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
• Microneedling helps reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin. In one study of 60 patients with acne scarring, three microneedling treatments resulted in a 31 percent improvement in skin texture, with no discoloration of the skin. Microneedling was effective for all skin types.
• It is appropriate for all skin types. The microneedling device creates hundreds of tiny micro-channels in the skin with minimal damage to the epidermis. It disrupts the junctions between the skin cells, temporarily disrupting the skin’s barrier function. This brief, mechanical disruption does not cause the melanocytes (pigment-producing cells) in the epidermis to react by increasing pigment production and darkening the skin. Therefore, SkinPen can be used on all skin types, including darker skin that is more susceptible to hyperpigmentation.
• Can be used on many body parts. The SkinPen needle depth adjusts from .25 mm up to 2 mm, allowing us to tailor the treatments to your particular skin thickness as well as his or her needs.
• It has minimal risk of infections or scarring. SkinPen doesn’t remove or damage the epidermis and doesn’t trigger the inflammatory pathway, meaning infections and scarring are unlikely.
Does microneedling hurt?
We typically apply a topical anesthetic prior to a SkinPen procedure. This allows for a comfortable experience for most people. Generally, patients report feeling just the slight vibration of the device during the procedure. In one study of microneedling used to treat acne scars, the patients’ average pain rating was only 1.08 out of 10. For most people, that’s probably less painful than having your eyebrows waxed.
Is there downtime after the microneedling procedure?
The total healing time depends on each individual. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild to moderate sunburn) for two to four days following the microneedling procedure. Some people may see their skin return to normal in about twenty-four hours.
How is MicroPen different from dermal needling rollers?
1. Adjustable needle depth: Dermal needling rollers are the first generation of needling devices. They have a fixed depth and can’t be adjusted to meet your varying skin needs. Elipse MicroPen Elite has an adjustable needle tip that allows us to vary the depth of penetration throughout the treatment depending on your skin’s condition. We can now address the specific needs of your crow’s feet, lower eyelids, forehead, upper lip, cheeks and neck with a single needle tip instead of multiple dermal needle rollers.
2. Safer: MicroPen is safer than dermal rollers due to its sterile single-use surgical grade disposable needle tips. The unique features of the Turbo Safety Needle® of the Eclipse MicroPen provide greater efficiency and clinical results while ensuring the highest level of safety. Because the MicroPen works on ALL skin types, it’s a great choice for almost everyone.
3. Faster: MicroPen’s high-speed motor enables quick needle penetration. This provides a more comfortable experience that patients often describe as a “sandpaper-like” sensation.
4. Better results: Safety and control features produce predictable and consistent results.