What is Microneedling?
Microneedling, also called “micropenning”, takes advantage of the skin’s self-repair process by creating thousands of precise micro-injuries to the dermis. This triggers new collagen synthesis without causing new scar tissue formation. This minimally invasive treatment stimulates your skin’s natural ability to repair itself and maximizes collagen and elastin production.
Safety and patient comfort are our top priorities when performing microneedling. That’s why we use LIFT HG, a clean, non-cytotoxic hydrogel, which supports proper wound-healing while hydrating the skin and balancing pH during and after the procedure.
For our Microneedling Collagen Induction Therapy treatments we use SkinPen® Precision, the latest advancement in micro-therapy. It is the only FDA-approved microneedling device on the market. SkinPen is designed to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and scars on the face and body. SkinPen is different from traditional derma-rollers that can bend, break, or even rust, resulting in possible infection or scarring with reuse. It uses adjustable length, disposable straight needles to penetrate at a 90-degree angle, at a customizable depth of 0.25 to 2 millimeters. This adjustability allows for differences in skin thickness and skin types, as well as enhanced safety.
The FDA has also cleared SkinPen for the treatment of wrinkles on the neck. The approval came following a recent clinical study which demonstrated improvement of dermal lines on the neck and high patient satisfaction at one month and three months post-treatment. This trial also found that 94% of patients noticed an improvement in how their wrinkles looked one month post procedure.
Ask your practitioner about microneedling add-on Stem Growth Factor Solution to aid in fast healing, reduce inflammation, and amplify results.
Which conditions can be treated?
• Pore size, skin texture, fine lines, minor scaring, and crepe skin can be treated with a shallow needle depth (approximately 0.5mm).
• Fine lines, mild stretch marks, and scaring may be treated with a medium needle depth (approximately 1.0 mm).
• Deep acne scarring, surgical and deeper scars, wrinkles, pore size, stretch marks, and skin texture can be treated with the deepest needle depth (approximately 1.5mm to 2.0mm).
Am I a candidate?
Because it is minimally invasive and doesn’t cause significant wounding of skin, virtually anybody can safely undergo microneedling therapy. Even those with thin skin can undergo treatment since the depth of penetration can be finely controlled.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
Microneedling helps reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars, and rejuvenate aging skin.
• Minimally invasive procedure performed in-office with little recovery time
• Safe for all skin types, light to dark
• Effective on many body parts, including face, neck and décolletage
How do I prepare for the treatment?
Chemical peels, Retin-A, or other exfoliating creams must not be used prior to your visit. During your initial consultation—always complimentary—we will go over your skin care regimen and answer any questions you may have.
What happens during treatment?
Your appointment will be with one of our Licensed Estheticans for shallower needle depth treatments, or with a medical team member for more invasive depths.
Though treatment is relatively painless we typically start by applying a topical anesthetic cream twenty to thirty minutes before the procedure. This allows for a comfortable experience for most people. Generally, patients report feeling just the slight vibration of the device during the procedure. In one study of microneedling used to treat acne scars, the patients’ average pain rating was only 1.08 out of 10. The total treatment time depends on which part of your body we are treating. For the face, a typical appointment takes about an hour.
Is post-treatment care needed, and is there any downtime?
It is important to keep your skin hydrated after any treatment while the skin resurfaces with new growth. Moisturizers with anti-inflammatory ingredients following the treatment will soothe the area and calm any redness. Exfoliators and alcohol-based toners should not be used until your skin has healed. Always use a good sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, but especially after this type of procedure. The total healing time depends on each individual. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild to moderate sunburn) for two to four days following the microneedling procedure. We can also recommend products such as OBAGI-C RX C-Clarifying Serum with vitamin C and hydroquinone as part of your post procedure home care.
Can I wear make-up immediately following a procedure?
Patients typically can resume their normal makeup regimen two to three days following the microneedling procedure, depending on the area and depth of needle penetration.
How many procedures are recommended?
Three to four treatments are usually required for best results. For more severe scarring and stretch marks, up to six treatments may be needed. The number of treatments can be determined based upon your individual goals and the overall health of your skin. As part of your anti-aging routine you may opt for one to two procedures a year to help maintain the rejuvenating effects.
Can this treatment be used as part of a combo therapy?
Yes, as with most of our skin treatments, microneedling can be combined with other restorative procedures to help achieve your overall goals. Often these combination treatments must be done separately since the micro-puncturing of the skin triggers the wound-healing process that must be given time complete.
How is SkinPen different from dermal needling rollers?
1. Adjustable needle depth: Dermal needling rollers are the first generation of needling devices. They have a fixed depth and can’t be adjusted to meet your varying skin needs. We can now address the specific needs of your crow’s feet, lower eyelids, forehead, upper lip, cheeks and neck with a single needle tip instead of multiple dermal needle rollers.
2. Safer: SkinPen is safer than dermal rollers due to its sterile, single-use surgical grade disposable needle tips.
3. Faster: SkinPen’s high-speed motor enables quick needle penetration. This provides a more comfortable and shorter treatment experience.
4. Better results: Safety and control features produce predictable and consistent results.
What’s the science?
There are three phases to the wound-repair process triggered by microneedling:
• Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
• Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
• Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
In one study of sixty patients with acne scarring, three microneedling treatments resulted in a 31 percent improvement in skin texture, with no discoloration of the skin. Microneedling was effective for all skin types.