Bellafill® is approved for the correction of facial wrinkles known as nasolabial folds, or smile lines, and the correction of moderate to severe, atrophic, distensible facial acne scars on the cheek in patients over the age of 21.
Most dermal fillers are absorbed into the body causing results to fade after six months to a few years, so maintenance is more frequently required. Bellafill is the only dermal filler established safe and effective for the correction of nasolabial folds through five years.
What is Bellafill®?
Bellafill is a long-lasting, FDA-approved dermal filler. It contains collagen, a naturally occurring substance in the skin, and tiny polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) beads which are compatible with human tissue. Unlike many other dermal fillers that are absorbed and require reinjection, Bellfill is a semi-permanent implantation into the skin for the correction of nasolabial folds, also called “smile lines”. Bellafill is the only dermal filler that stimulates collagen growth long-term and is approved by the FDA to be a safe and effective for up to 5 years.
Bellafill can be used for the following:
• Filling in wrinkles, fine lines, and deep creases.
• Improving other imperfections like scars.
• Correcting small to moderate nose bumps and deviations.
• Plumping up cheeks.
• Contouring the jaw line and other areas of the face.
Am I a candidate?
If you are looking for a long-term solution to soften your smile lines and do not have not have sensitivity to the components in Bellafill, it may a good option for you. Consultations are always complimentary, and may include an allergy test, which we can do at the same time.
Bellafill would not be a fit:
• If you have a positive reaction to the Bellafill allergy skin test.
• If you have an allergy to the anesthetic (lidocaine) in Bellafill.
• If you have a history of allergies to any bovine collagen product.
• If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or if you bruise easily.
How do I prepare for the treatment?
Your skin should be tested for sensitivity before your treatment. There is no cost involved with your initial consultation or this allergy test. For a week before and after the procedure, avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, Ibuprofen and Vitamin E. Consumption of alcohol also thins the blood so it is recommended to not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before and after your injections.
What happens during treatment?
Points on your face may be marked for the appropriate injection sites for the filler. Photographs may be taken of the areas to be treated. The injection sites will be cleansed with an antibacterial agent and an anesthetic cream may be used to numb the skin. The injections usually take only a few moments per site. The process of injecting, massaging, and evaluating the result is performed, and additional filler is added as needed. Though the injections themselves take little time, we schedule time for the numbing cream to take effect.
Is post-treatment care needed, and is there any downtime?
As with any injectable filler, temporary mild swelling and redness may occur at the treatment site. Bruising is usually mild and usually lasts three to seven days. You may experience redness, swelling, soreness or tenderness at the injection site. Tylenol can be taken along with applying soothing ice packs to cool the affected area. Avoid vigorous exercise, excessive sun and heat exposure and always use sunscreen.
Can this treatment be used as part of a combo therapy?
Yes, as with most of our skin treatments, dermal fillers can be combined with neuromodulators such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport to help achieve your overall goals. Sometimes this can be done during the same appointment, but often these treatments should be done separately.
What’s the science?
Bellaﬁll® works in two ways:
• The collagen provides immediate volume below facial wrinkles known as smile lines to lift them to the level of the surrounding skin.
• The PMMA microspheres create a matrix that supports your body’s own collagen production.
The injectable gel is comprised of 80% puriﬁed collagen and 20% PMMA (polymethylmethacrylate) microspheres. The microspheres are half the diameter of a human hair — so small that they are virtually invisible to the eye.
• Satisfied patients. In a consumer survey, 91% of patients were likely to recommend Bellafill.
• In a five-Year Post-Approval Study, 83% of patients were satisfied to very satisfied with their nasolabial fold correction at the end of five years.
• Bellafill has a 93% patient satisfaction rating on RealSelf.
• Bellafill is an exceptional cosmetic treatment option. It was proven safe through five years in the largest and longest prospective dermal filler study ever completed.