Did you know that Hawaii has banned non-mineral sunscreens?
This ban, designed to protect our country’s valuable coral reef environments, recently became law.
Don’t be a touron! Tourism is one of the leading factors of reef death world-wide Double check your sunscreen before you pack it. (See our list of reef-save sunscreens below.) Not just for your Hawaii trip, but to be responsible any time you plan on paddling, swimming, snorkeling or surfing in our world’s vast oceans. Chemical (aka non-mineral) sunscreens have no place in our marine environments at this time when these fragile habitats are endangered.
It’s not just our oceans that chemical – homosalate, avobenzone, oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate, octocrylene – sunscreens can harm. Studies have found them to cause hormonal disruption in humans. The FDA-recommends only mineral sunscreens to protect our health.
It’s estimated that 14,000 tons of sunscreen wash off into our oceans each year. Even low concentrations of these chemicals have been shown to damage coral reefs which can absorb the chemicals and have its reproduction cycle interrupted and risk irreversible bleaching.
Once coral dies, there’s a fast impact to the marine biodiversity once supported by the reef. All humans would suffer the loss of food, livelihoods, and medicines, and of course, the beauty and renewal of a tropical, seaside vacation.
Mineral (aka physical) sunscreens are not absorbed into the blood screen, but instead create a barrier against the sun, which reflects, scatters, and blocks ultraviolet radiation. These minerals, zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide do not damage reefs.
To be sure your SPF is a reef-safe mineral sunscreen and protects you from the sun, use broad-spectrum products considered GRASE (Generally Recognized as Safe and Effective) by the FDA.
Our Hawaii-approved, reef-safe sunscreen options, all available at both our locations, or by using our product order form
• Alastin Skincare, also available in our Alastin online store
>> Hydratint Pro Mineral Sunscreen
>> SilkSHIELD All Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
• All Colorescience Total-protection products, including the award-winning brush-on powder sunscreen. Also available to be shipped from our Colorescience store.
• EltaMD UV Physical Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 41, UV Restore Broad-Spectrum SPF 40, and UV Stick Broad-Spectrum SPF 50, available at both our locations, or by using our product order form
• Revision Skincare TruPhysical, also available right now in our online store.
• SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 – This high protection transparent zinc oxide sunscreen also contains artemia salina, a plankton extract known to increase skin’s resistance to UV- and heat-induced stress.
• SkinMedica, also available in our online store.
>> Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 35 – Uses a 5% titanium dioxide and 6% zinc oxide formula that protects against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
>> Essential Defense Everyday Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 47 – This oil-free, paraben-free and fragrance-free formula contains 7.5% octinoxate and 12% zinc oxide to shield skin from sun damage.
>> Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 32 (Tinted) – This physical sunscreen uses 5% titanium dioxide and 6% zinc oxide to provide superior protection.