Here’s a problem we hope clears up quickly, never to be dealt with again! For many of us, wearing a face mask causes or exacerbates skin problems, mostly acne…yes, maskne is real.
If you are grappling with breakouts around the nose and chin or dry skin or abrasions due to your mask rubbing, here’s some advice from our team.
While we are open for medical and body treatments, including acne solutions like permanent acne removal with AGNES RF, we are not able to provide facials at this time. A great facial DIY option, recommended by Founder, Linda Behla, RN, is Revision Skincare’s Black Mask.
• Skip foundation/makeup on your lower face and focus upon the eyes – try a bold eyeliner.
• As always, remember to stay hydrated (easy to forget when your mouth is covered.)
• Allow your skin care products to soak in before putting on your mask.
• If you have to wear a mask all day, bring a few extra clean ones for changes during the day.
• Keep those masks clean!
• Be sure those masks fit well.
• During the day, give your skin a wipe with HVM SkinCare’s Exfoliating Pads. Easy to take to go!
• Ask an expert! Call – Marin 415-464-8801 or SF 415-255-9510 – and get advice customized to your particular mask problem.
• This is not likely the best time to start using a prescription-strength retinol product, but there’s a non-prescription option that’s also easy to take on the go – HVM SkinCare’s All-trans-Retinol Treatment Pads.
Our San Francisco location Clinical Esthetician (and CoolSculpting Specialist), Jessica Hong, MA, LE, has found her clients maskne is helped by:
And there’s more product recommendations from Jessica and our team below.
Long shifts requiring a mask can lead to rubbing against the skin or abrasions. The first step to dealing with this problem is carefully checking your mask for rough spots, and making sure it fits snugly, but without tightness or rubbing.
To ease any irritated areas once you can remove your mask, wash with a gentle cleanser and cool water, then apply healing ointment.
We recommend HVM SkinCare’s Gentle Cleanser or SkinMedica’s Sensitive Skin Cleanser. And to care for your skin, ask one of our experts about SkinCeutical’s Epidermal Repair, or SkinMedica’s TNS Recovery Complex.
Before putting on your mask, we recommend products with ceramides as they are healing to the skin barrier. Consider HVM SkinCare’s Ceramide Fortified Cream which also contains vitamins and antioxidants.
The warmth and moisture that builds behind a mask can be the main cause of maskne, but remember that these are stressful times, which can also flare acne, so be sure to practice healing self-care to de-stress.
What to do about that moisture and increased sebum behind that mask? Clean skin and clean mask is key.
If your skin is oily, consider a salicylic acid cleanser, such as SkinMedica’s AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser.
HOW CAN I GET THESE PRODUCTS?
Right now, to maintain physical distancing, we are not allowing walk-in traffic to our locations. You are welcome to call from outside and if possible, we can make recommendations and bring product to you. The best way? Use our product order form and select curbside pickup or have your order shipped to you.
You can also call – Marin 415-464-8801 or SF 415-255-9510 – to set up a complimentary, no-obligation, product consultation.
As a community, thank you to everyone who wears a mask, no matter the issues they cause. Scientists and medical professionals know that right now it’s the very best way to keep us safe.