Available at our Larkspur, Marin location only.
What Is NeoGen™ PSR?
Treats the entire structure of your skin – other technologies target certain parts of your skin as a means of protecting tissue from damage or as they are designed to treat specific skin damage or aging concerns. Because NeoGen treats all of your skin, wrinkles, elasticity, scars, pigmentation, and more can be simultaneously treated by this one device.
Never breaks or damages the skin’s surface – other technologies work by ablating or vaporizing the surface of the skin to trigger healing responses. There’s a three-fold benefit to NeoGen’s process of treating without creating open wounds:
1. There’s less down-time.
2. Over time, your healthy upper skin layer provides protection as the deeper, treated tissue underneath is entirely remodeled during the physiological process of regeneration.
3. No open wounds or ablated skin means less chance of infection and a safer, less stressful, overall experience.
NeoGen converts nitrogen gas into plasma energy, which is then transferred through the hand-piece using controlled, ultra-high radiofrequency to penetrate and heat the tissue of the dermis to stimulate new elastin and collagen growth while removing damaged collagen. It’s the only device on the market using plasma energy.
Seven indications of use have been cleared by the FDA. Worldwide, over 50,000 NeoGen Plasma treatments have been performed over ten years, and over thirty Institutional Review Board independent clinical studies have been carried out.
We recommend Alastin Skincare’s Procedure Enhancement System to elevate your NeoGen PSR results.
Which conditions can be treated?
Treatments may be performed on the face, upper and lower eye area, chest, neck, hands, and body.
The following concerns can be effectively treated:
• Scars, including Cesarean, breast implant, and acne scars
• Fine and deep wrinkles and lines
• Sagging, loose skin
• Skin discoloration and pigmentation
• Photodamage and age spots
• Poor skin tone and texture
• Loss of skin elasticity, known as elastosis.
• Bacterial control
Neogen energy levels:
• The lowest energy settings increase skin permeability which aids topical treatment effectiveness and it controls bacteria which can improve active acne.
• Low to medium energy limits downtime and is ideal for maintenance. Substantial improvement to signs of aging, wrinkles, lines, and age spots can be expected with even just one treatment.
• High energy treatments deliver results comparable to fully ablative treatments, with far less downtime and risk of post-treatment complications. You’ll receive the benefits of low energy treatments, plus tighter skin and contouring.
Is NeoGen right for me?
Ideal candidates have light to medium skin tones.
Key Benefits and Typical Results
• Your entire skin architecture is treated, so you won’t have untreated patches or lines of demarcation, and while your specific skin concerns are addressed, you’ll benefit from all the additional anti-aging results too.
• The energy output is customizable, so you and your practitioner can decide to use lower energy over several treatments, or fewer treatments with higher energy.
• Expect continuing collagen growth and skin tightening for up to, and possibly over, twelve months after treatment.
• The eye area can be tightened around the upper and lower lids, and dark circles are lessened.
• No open wounds! Your healthy, intact epidermis becomes your post-treatment natural skin dressing.
• Treatment results in natural, healthy, firmer, younger, lustrous skin.
• Skin quality is improved—tone, tightness, texture, and color.
How do I prepare for treatment?
A consultation – always complimentary – is required to discuss the level of energy and number of treatments which best matches your goals.
During the two weeks before your appointment, avoid tanning and sun exposure.
During the seven days before your appointment, do not use exfoliants or topical tretinoins, like retinol, in the treatment area. Rigorously moisturize your skin. Organize a ride home with a friend or service.
Ask your practitioner about starting Alastin Skincare’s Procedure Enhancement System 14-30 days before your treatment. Pre-treating with this system will clear non-functioning collagen and impurities and prepare your skin for optimal results. And continuing after treatment will minimize downtime and elevate results. Directions for use.
Be prepared for the days after treatment with:
• Antibacterial soap
• Zinc oxide or titanium-based, 30+ SPF sunscreen
• Unopened bottle of white vinegar to help with any itching
• Mild cleanser
For your appointment, please do not wear makeup. Men should shave. Moisturize your skin. Remember a case for your contact lenses, or wear eyeglasses instead. Bring a hat (clean, and one you don’t mind getting petroleum jelly on) and sunglasses to protect your delicate skin on the way home.
What happens during treatment?
45-60 minutes is generally required to treat an entire face. Treatments may be as short as 5-10 minutes for smaller areas. You’ll receive a topical numbing cream. For higher-energy treatments, an injectable local anesthetic may be used. A gel will be applied to protect your hairline and eyebrows. If any hair is singed during treatment, it will grow back. You may hear odd noises! If this is too loud, we’ll provide you with ear plugs.
Post-treatment care or downtime?
You’ll leave our office with pink or red skin, protected by layer of petroleum jelly. Depending on the strength of the treatment, and how well the individual’s skin is previously conditioned, the downtime can vary. Typically, the patient will experience 3-7 days of social downtime.
Your skin will be more permeable post-treatment, allowing for increased efficacy of topical skin care which can speed healing and the physiological improvements your NeoGen treatment has initiated.
Keep your skin moist with petroleum jelly. You’ll be advised upon when you can begin shaving and exercising. Although there are no open wounds, with higher energies skin may peel significantly for several days after the treatment.
How long until I see results?
Immediately, you’ll see tighter skin over the treated area. Over several weeks to month, new skin surfaces. Collagen regeneration and histological change continues for up to a year.
How long will results last?
Result will vary depending upon your treatment regimen and other factors. It’s been reported that results last up to ten years.
How many treatments will I need?
Your treatment plan will be determined during your consultation, and based upon your expectations, comfortable energy level, areas to be treated, and condition of your skin before treatment. Generally, one to six treatments are recommended.
Can this treatment be used as part of a combo therapy?
Prior to treatment, you can boost NeoGen results with IPL and after treatment, your skin will be more permeable meaning products and other treatments which may interest you could be more effective. Our experts will have recommendations for you, should you be interested, after analyzing your skin.
What is the science?
The states of matter are commonly defined as solid, liquid, and gas. Under certain conditions of increased energy application, there’s a fourth state—plasma. Natural plasma (lightning and static electricity) and man-made (neon lights and fluorescent light bulbs) surrounds us in our daily lives. NeoGen uses plasma from medical-grade nitrogen molecules, which are also used in other medical applications.
Plasma skin resurfacing (PSR), a technology unique to NeoGen, delivers plasma through an ultra-high frequency generator which converts inert nitrogen gas to activated ionized gas, the ideal form of plasma for this skin therapy. The energies do not damage the skin barrier, but do cause the layers underneath to undergo regeneration, treating multiple skin issues simultaneously. Surface skin is not charred as with ablative technologies.
NeoGen energy does not target a specific issue or fractionate to cover only part of the skin. Instead the entire structure of the skin is treated, leading to broad-ranging improvement throughout, and to primary and secondary anti-aging of the entire skin.
FDA-approved indications include treatment of seborrheic and actinic keratosis (benign brown marks), pigmented lesions, fine lines known as rhytides, and acne scars.